(Just a note: if you’re looking for the post on the homework for Hammurabi’s judgments, please scroll down one entry!)
I totally forgot to remind first period, but we’ll be taking our reading quiz for Unit One over the first fourteen chapters of Guns, Germs, and Steel tomorrow. Additionally, your summer reading journal is going to be due at the start of class, so don’t forget to bring it with you!
In terms of things you need to consider in preparation of the reading quiz:
- Consider the historical example Diamond uses in the chapter “Collision at Cajamarca”– what sort of advantages did the Spanish have? What disadvantages did the Incas have? Why did the conquest occur?
- Consider the reasons why food production developed in some parts of the world, and why it failed to develop in others.
- What makes an animal domesticable? Why and how were animals domesticated? Why do some places not have domesticated animals?
- How did plant domestication occur? Be able to describe the process.
- Why did Diamond decide to write Guns, Germs, and Steel? What is his point of view (remember, POV is different from argument!), and how does that point of view influence what he’s writing?
Remember that this is only a STARTING point for the quiz, so it’s a good idea to review your whole summer reading journal for this. Happy studying!