If you’re looking for the homework assignment for tonight (8/24), please scroll down one entry.
The Governor’s Honors Program is a competitive academic program held every year at Valdosta State University for students who show passion and excellence in various academic, artistic, and technical fields. For a further description of the program, students should check the North Cobb website for a basic overview of FAQs and application procedures.
Students can apply to GHP in the following areas of study:
- Agricultural Science
- Communicative Arts
- Languages (French, German, Latin, Mandarin Chinese, and Spanish)
- Social Studies
- Music (Brass– euphonium/baritone, French horn, trombone, trumpet, tuba; Jazz– electric bass, guitar, percussion, piano, saxophone, trombone, and trumpet; Percussion;Piano; Strings– cello, upright bass, viola, violin; Voice– alto, baritone/bass, soprano, tenor; Woodwind– bassoon, clarinet, flute, oboe, and saxophone)
- Visual Arts
- Engineering and Design
There will be an informational meeting in the ID lab in the Freshmen Academy (room 2101) on September 3rd at 7:45 AM or 3:30 PM. Interested students should try to attend the meeting– otherwise, students should speak with Ms. Biddy in room 2106 in order to pick up the relevant information.
If you have further questions regarding the application process or regarding the program of GHP itself, please feel free to ask me– I went myself (back in the dark ages), and I love helping students get to experience the same awesome program.
Tonight for your homework, you need to carefully read and annotate the article “The Decline and Fall of Empires.” Once you’ve finished reading the article, please respond to the following discussion points:
- Of the nine suggested causes of imperial decline, which do you think would have the most immediate consequences? Which of the nine causes would have more gradual consequences? Can you provide any historical examples– different from those already included in the article– which illustrate these points?
- What do you think of the author’s suggestion that “otherworldly or escapist religions” can be a cause of imperial collapse? Why might this be? Do you agree with this assessment?
In order to earn a maximum grade of 95% on this assignment, you may leave ONE thoughtful comment addressing the above points on this post. In order to earn 100%, you should leave your original comment AND reply to a comment left by a classmate.
If you are experiencing difficulties leaving a comment, please try the following:
- If you can’t see the “Leave a Comment” option, scroll alllllllllllll the way to the bottom of the page and see if you can see a white box. Sometimes, if you’ve clicked on the blog post itself, you have to scroll to the end of the page to reply.
- Use a computer, not your phone.
- Check your browser! WordPress works best on Chrome (Mozilla’s okay, too), but Internet Explorer is not a great idea. Always try to use the most recent version of your browser– this may mean that you need to update your browser.
- Clear your Internet history and cookies. Try leaving a comment again once you’ve done this.
- If you still can’t leave a reply, email your comment to me instead.