Happy Friday, folks! While I don’t want to rain on your parade, I’m afraid I have to remind you that you have your very first document-based question scheduled for next Monday (February 29th). We’ll be doing this as a timed essay, so you will not be receiving the prompt in advance– instead, I’m going to ask that you do a different type of preparation in advance of the coming DBQ.
Today in class you should have picked up the annotated rubric for the 2008 released DBQ from the College Board exam, as well as two sample student essays. (This is the same essay which you outlined for me on Wednesday night.) You’ll need your DBQ documents out in order to complete this assignment– if you’ve lost them, you can download another copy from the link in the post from Wednesday, February 24th.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Carefully read over the annotated rubric. Make sure you fully understand what you can and can’t give points for before you start reading the essays.
- Read and annotate each essay. You may find it useful to highlight or underline the thesis, POV analysis, additional documents, grouping, and evidence.
- Use the rubric to decide on a score, from 1 to 9, for both essays.
- Then, on a separate sheet of paper, briefly write an explanation for your score for each essay. What points did each earn? Why didn’t you give them certain points? (Bullet points are fine for this.)
- Check the class blog on Sunday afternoon. I will schedule a post to go live at 12:00 PM with the information on how each essay was actually scored. Compare your score to the official score and write a brief statement explaining why your score differed (if it did) from the official score.
- Be prepared to turn in your score analysis sheet at the start of class on Monday!
NOTE: First and second periods, I told you that you would also need to analyze your own DBQ outline and give it a grade– and you’re still welcome to do so!– however, I forgot to give third period back their outlines, so that part of the assignment will not be required. 🙂
Have a good weekend, guys, and I’ll see you on Monday!